Sunday 10 July 2011

All by myself



It has been a great year for Karl Edo. But with the success of Spook House, he found his shop too small to meet the increasing demand -- and he wasn't very happy with the location either. Not that he didn't like his neighbours in the building, like Osvald Halving in Gjengangere, Bart Ender Barton in the pub and Glenn Closenough and Sean Kommer'u in the adjacent assembly rooms. But the style of all of these businesses are a bit old fashioned if truth be told, and Karl Edo had for some time thought about building a real Spook House, and when it was opened to build on a ground nearby he went for it. His friend Arne Vaa wasn't hard to ask and designed a new Spook House for him in a jiffy.



After a busy spring, here is a proud Karl Edo in front of the newly finished building. And instead of a party, he's inviting you in to celebrate the opening with an Asian themed display, with some of his favourite design furniture, all in the Spook House signature colours red and white.



Credits: In this last year, I have received so many wonderful gifts from blog friends all around the world. I haven't had the time to blog about them so far, because of a very hectic spring at work, but I thank you all and have gathered some of the fabulous gifts in this post, and more will come in the fall. Tomorrow we're going to the UK on holiday and we will be away until the end of this month.



Arne Jacobsen seven chairs from Minimii. Super ellipse table is a selfmade gift from Cocco.




Shelving made of lego. I was inspired to make this after seeing this fabulous desk Carol (Pepper) at MitchyMooMiniatures made for me after I was so lucky to win her give-away! The drawers even open! Thank you so much, Pepper's husband (Salt?), for the draw!

The doll in kimono is a gift from Cocco. The lamp is an altered Re-ment lamp. The laptop is also by Re-ment. Seven chair from Minimii. Tiny Hello Kitty in a Japanese costume is a cell phone ornament. Selfmade George Nelson ball clock.



On the counter is another Hello Kitty ornament.
Inside there's a Re-ment plate and some moon lamps designed by Cocco.



Heart chair by Reac, a gift from Sans, I love it, thank you so much! The Piero Fornasetti plates on the wall are made using a photo from the Collectors magazine, a give-away I won from the fabulous Shopping Sherpa who was interviewed in the magazine and featured in the TV show as well! Sadly I didn't manage to make them as neat as she did hers. Shelf by Re-ment. Vases by Elisabeth Causeret and Re-ment. If anyone knows the artist who made the painting I would be grateful, I just found it on the Net. The facade of Spook House is (of course) made of lego.

I wish you all a very nice summer!

United Kingdom Come!

16 comments:

callsmall said...

Nice pad for Karl!! Now can you please come an redo mine???! ;) Have a fabulous trip...I am so jealous! Will you go see some minis? And will you be buying them too?? Miss your posts! Hugs.

Pubdoll said...

Thanks callsmall, the shop needed more space so he could display the growing range of modern furniture from his suppliers :-)
I hope to see some minis, but know only where to find antique ones.
But will definitely buy a lot if I get the chance :-)

Unknown said...

I've had trouble with neighbors, so I understand too well. But what a beautiful new shop for Karl Edo. And what a wonderful way to unite all the wonderful gifts of friendship-it's one of the best things about minis, I find. Have a wonderful time in the UK, H!

Petra said...

Oh how exiting! Is it a full-lego-house? I cannot see it on the fotos. I would like to have enought white lego-bricks to build a real dollhouse from it.
All your furniture and accesoires look so well in this new room for Karl-Edo, he is really a man with a good taste - like you, äh I mean you are a woman with ...
Hope you all have nice holidays. Are you going to the sea? I will go to UK some day too and try out how my spoken english is, after I'm rather content with my writing after two years of blogging.
btw I love the little kimono-doll, how cute is this?
cheers

Pubdoll said...

Thanks Amy, but unless some dated taste in design, Karl Edos neighbours were nothing like yours! I do remember the trouble you had with them!
We're soon off to the UK. I'm writing this at the airport, waiting to board :-)

Pubdoll said...

Thanks Oese, it's just a full lego front. The other walls, floor and roof is the inside of a white wall box from IKEA. And your English is now so good I'm sure you would have no problems speaking it! (Says I, who have hardly spoken any English with Englishmen since I was 12 years old!)

We will spend one week in Wales by the sea, so I suppose we will have some bathing then, but the other cities we will visit are York, Edinburgh and London, so not much bathing there.

Now the boarding has started, so I must go :-) Have a nice summer, Oese!

My Realitty said...

Hi your Pubness, love the smooth white walls of the lego structure. Very sleek! C

Daydreamer said...

Hi Helene, I like your new Lego store! I had posted a picture or two on my blog recently about a replica of Mark Twain's House... now a museum.... made entirely in Legos! It is awe-inspiring!
I hope you have a wonderful holiday in England!

Sans! said...

Great ensemble, Helene! I think you should eventually let Karl Edo have a duplex with his shop on the ground floor and his city home on the 2nd. Maybe a UK branch?

Love the art nouveau painting you picked. Found a signed version with blue background here : http://weheartit.com/entry/10508241

Further search reveals that the illustrator is Georges Barbier. Go to http://www.tutoriallounge.com/2009/11/100-fashion-illustrations-art-of-20th-century-by-george-barbier/ to view more illustrations. You will see he frequently use oriental elements in his illustrations. :)

Modern MC said...

I wish I could go with you! Sigh...
Love the new shop. You work magic with legos, lady friend. Have a safe trip!

Pepper said...

What a fabulous shop. You ARE the Lego queen!

Hope you're enjoying your holiday. Sorry about the weather..we do rain very well over here *shrugs*

I'll give you a wave when you pass Durham =0)

Hunky Dory said...

Hi Pubdoll, I got an award from Oese and am passing it on to you. Go to my site to pick it up if you'd like. As I said, I love your use of Legos. Best regards, Doris

Unknown said...

Dette er så stilig!!! Gjennomført i både farger og stil. Og så lurt å bruke lego. Smiler hver gang jeg leser navnene på "menneskene" dine og historiene, liker humoren og fantasien du har.
Håper du har hatt en fin ferie i England.
Mona

Daydreamer said...

Hi Helene, just hoping your family and friends have not been among those hurt in the recent violence!
Best wishes to you!

Pubdoll said...

Thank you for all your nice comments while I was away, CM, Betsy, MC, Carol, Doris and Mona!

And thank you for wishes and for thinking of us, Betsy. My husband and children are okay, but I'm sad to say that my cousin's 17 year old son was killed on the Utøya island together with almost 70 others. They came from all over the country, and we're so few here in Norway, so I don't think there's many of us who don't know of someone that was killed that day.

We were in Wales with no TV or newspapers when my mother called, telling us about the bomb and the massacre on the youth camp, and we didn't come home until recently.

But it has been a comfort to see the way the Norwegian people have been mourning. There has been huge gatherings of more than hundred thousand people with roses holding hands. And there has been no talk about revenge, but about not letting the massacre destroy our Norwegian values, the open, egalitarian society we cherish.
A young girl said the most quoted sentence these last days "If one man can show so much hate, imagine how much love we all can show together"
But of course, the real test will come in the long run.

dollhouse miniature said...

It can be difficult by looking at these photos to remember that you are actually seeing a miniature